Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wikipedia - "treatment is burdensome"...awesome.

Last night was a good night.  

Still went to bed at midnight - woke to test at 2.30am (minus my new torch, despite not even owning it a week, has mysteriously gone MISSING! grrrr.   Only took me 9 months to get around to buying one in the first place.   I dont think I will replace it)    and hubby did the 5.30am.     Somehow in my sleep dazed state I turned off the morning alarm and so Evander was late to school.   Oooops.

What made it good was Reubens numbers.   He seems to be oscillating from high nights to low nights.  Last nights BGL with absolutely NO effort on my part was;

Before dinner - 11.5
After dinner - 8.0
Before supper - 12.7
Before bed - 8.9
During night - 8.9
Early morning - 6.8

What did we do differently in this science experiment we call Reuben's diabetes?

The truth is nothing.

What did Reuben do/eat/not eat/sleep/increase activity/decrease activity/did we inject his insulin differently?

Nada. Nothing. Zip. Zero.

It was a fluke. But I'll take the credit anyhow and ride this wave cos I do work hard at it :)   Plus my little munchkin is sooo awesome when hes in range.

Sometimes when we do everything right the numbers are high teens.   Sometimes I pay plenty of attention to the GI in the food and measure the quantitites and R is hypo-ing ALL day and hard to bring up.  

Well, maybe the endo and the DE's are having a lend of us about diabetes being manageable.   It could be a conspiracy.    Haaaa. Refer to-

 http://www.my-endo-probably-drives-a-redporsche-so he should know!.com.au or

http://www.endos-earn-the-big-bucks.com.au.

{Seriously I like our endos and I do value their knowlege and treatment of my son's "shooga"  condition.}

I was reading up to try find some info on type 1 to post on my blog and I found this on WIKIPEDIA of all places >>>

Type 1 treatment must be continued indefinitely in all cases. Treatment need not significantly impair normal activities, if sufficient patient training, awareness, appropriate care, discipline in testing and dosing of insulin is taken. However, treatment is burdensome for many people.

Wow, you think ???   Burdensome.  Thats an understatement.   We should create a day to celebrate Type 3's and their contribution to their Type 1's !!

Another random bit of info - Reuben has begun role playing the whole needle scenario with a toy thermometer out of a play 'vet' bag.  



THE WEAPON!


I hope his actions are more typical of clumsy toddler-ness than a reflection of how rough-handed we are administering his needles.   Its like something outta the shower scene in Hitchcock's "Psycho".   (cue scary sound effects EEEEeee EEEEeee EEEEeee!)   Reubs really plunges that thing into my thigh- Im glad its made of plastic!

1 comment:

  1. When S was on blood thinners last summer, he decided he needed to give all of us shots. He was quite the rough babe!! I had bruises from his jabs.

    But he had bruises from his pokes, too. It isn't easy having to be the giver. I know it isn't easy being the receiver. But we do what we must as Mom. And saving our children is in our blood.

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete